Apple releases iOS 16.4 with web notifications, Podcast news and HomeKit. 42 days after the release of the iOS 16.3.1 update, Apple has released the update to iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4.
Apple Watch blood glucose monitoring is still a long way off
Apple explains that the update to iOS 16.4 / iPadOS 16.4 provides important bug fixes and security improvements for iPhone.
Among the novelties of iOS 16.4 and iPad OS 16.4 there is support for push notifications of web pages, a technology that allows sites to send short information (precisely, notifications) via browser, a feature that Apple had already promised last year. announcing iOS 16 and iPadOS 16, explaining that it would be implemented in 2023.
Users can choose to receive notifications of sites saved as a web app on the Home Screen (with a website icon on the Home screen) even from iOS and iPadOS, a feature possible for developers using the Push API, those for Notifications and worker servers (scripts that the browser can run in the background).
Notifications for websites will work the same as notifications for apps, either in a list or grouped on the lock screen. Another novelty of the version of Safari integrated in iOS 16.4 is the support for notifications taking into account the Full Immersion mode, the feature that allows you to minimize distractions.
In iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 we then find new Unicode 15 emojis, with emojis such as: flickering face, pink heart, blue heart, donkey, moose, goose, wing, jellyfish, water hyacinth, pod, ginger, flute, maracas, crow and more.
Other innovations integrated into iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 concern the Podcasts app, with a list of channels that can be consulted from a single point, news for podcast creators, and the Up Next function, with episodes that may be of interest for listeners and features to automatically save them to the library.
Also new is the presence of a button to access your profile in the Apple Music app, making it easier to change settings. The Settings > General > About > Coverage Now section showing warranty information for your iPhone and other connected devices (e.g. Apple Watch and AirPods).
iOS 16.4 and PadOS 16.4 offer the HomeKit architecture update that was dropped from iOS 16.2 after numerous developer reports of issues. In the Updates section of the Home app, iPhone and iPad users who have not yet updated to the new architecture will see a “Home update available” alert.
Apple reports that the new HomeKit architecture improves the reliability and efficiency of communication between smart home accessories and Apple devices. In the release notes, we still read that the duplicate album in Photos expands support for detecting duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud shared photo library.
Here are the complete release notes:
- 21 new emojis are now available in the emoji keyboard which include animals, hand gestures and objects.
- Notifications for web apps have been added to the Home screen.
- Voice Isolation optimizes your voice and filters out ambient noise around you during cell phone calls.
- Support for the Duplicates in Photos album has been expanded to detect duplicate photos and videos in iCloud shared photo libraries.
- VoiceOver support has been added to Weather maps.
- An accessibility setting has been added that automatically dims video content where flashing or strobe lights are detected.
- The “Visual Search” functionality is now available in Switzerland.
- Fixed an issue where child “Ask to Buy” requests might not appear on the parent’s device.
- Fixed some issues where Matter-compatible thermostats might become unresponsive when paired with Apple Home.
- Incident detection has been improved on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models.